Online Quilting Bee Block 11
Only two more blocks to go!
If you missed block 10, you can get instructions for it here: Online Quilting Bee Block 10 For more information, you can head to the main Quilt Along webpage and it will outline all the details. Scroll down below the video for fabric requirements.
We are working on strip piecing this week. We love to use strip piecing to help speed up the process and also help with the accuracy in our blocks. When you sew the strips together first and then cut them, you won’t need to worry about the ends lining up perfectly. Everything is nice and straight! This also helps eliminate sewing some bias edges together which is always a plus. Strip piecing doesn’t just have to be used for this particular block, you can use it in any situation where you have lots of the same pieces sewn together.
Each block will finish at 18″. The final quilt will be 64×84″.
There are 2 different options for this quilt, make the sampler, consisting of 12 different blocks, or make a quilt of just this block, repeating it 12 times.
Sampler Quilt Fabric Requirements (assuming 40″ wide fabric):
Finished quilt : 64×84″
White – 4 yard
Dark Green (including border) – 2 yards
Light Green – 1 1/4 yards
Gray – 1 yard
Yellow – 1 yard
Block 11 Quilt Fabric Requirements (assuming 40″ wide fabric)
Finished quilt 64×84″
White – 3 1/3 yards
Dark Green (including border) – 1 1/4 yard
Light Green – 1 yard
Gray – 1/2 yard
Yellow -1 yard
Block Eleven Instructions
NOTE: When cutting fabric for the sampler quilt, cut only what you need, leaving extra fabric in large in tact pieces. DON’T cut long strips to cut down. This will ensure you have the sizes and pieces you need for later blocks.
- 4 @ 6 1/8″ square
- 4 @ 4 5/8″ square
- 1 @ 2 3/8 x 19″ strip
- 1 @ 2 3/8 x 19″ strip
- 1 @ 2 3/8 x 37″ strip
- 1 @ 2 3/8 x 37″ strip
- 2 @ 2 3/8 x 19″ strip
- Cut each of the 6 1/8″ and 4 5/8″ white squares in half on the diagonal. Set Aside
Sew Strips Together
- Match Dark Green strip with the Yellow strip and sew together along the long edge. Press.
- Match one Light Green strip with the Gray strip and sew together along the long edge. Press.
- Match one Light Green strip with the White strip and sew together along the long edge. Press.
Cut the Diamonds
- Mark 3 3/8″ from bottom left corner of one strip set. Continue marking 3 3/8″ across strip to get 4 marks from the light green strips and 8 marks on the dark green/yellow strip.
- Using ruler or lines on cutting mat, cut a 45 degree angle off the end of the strip, lining the ruler up on the bottom left corner. Continue cutting 45 degree lines across strip, lining the ruler up on the marks. Repeat to get 4 from each light green strip and 8 from the dark green/yellow strip.
Sew the Diamonds together
- Match two dark green/yellow pieces together with the yellow on the points, offsetting the ends by 1/4″. Sew together. Repeat with remaining dark green/yellow pieces to get 4 sets.
- Match one light green/gray and one light green/white pieces together with the gray and the white on the points, offsetting the ends by 1/4″. Sew together. Repeat with remaining pieces to get 4 sets.
- Match a short edge of one large white triangle along the right edge of one dark green/yellow diamond, offsetting the ends by 1/4″. Sew. Press.
- Match the long edge of one small white triangle along the left edge of the dark green/yellow diamond, lining up at the top and letting the excess extend past the bottom. Sew. Press.
- Repeat with remaining dark green/yellow diamonds.
- Match a short edge of one large white triangle along the left edge of one light green diamond (touch the gray point), offsetting the ends by 1/4″. Sew. Press.
- Match the long edge of one small white triangle along the right edge of the light green diamond (touch the gray point), lining up at the top and letting the excess extend past the bottom. Sew. Press.
- Repeat with remaining light green diamonds.
- Match one dark green triangle with one light green triangle along the long edge, with the dark green on the left. Sew. Press open.
Sew the Blocks together
- Layout blocks following the diagram below.
- Sew top two blocks together.
- Sew bottom two blocks together.
- Sew two halves together.
For both quilts (visual instructions will be included in the final video but written instructions are included here if you are making the one block quilt):
Sashing and Border 1
- Cut 8 @ 2 1/2 x 18 1/2″
- Cut 11 @ 2 1/2″ x Width of Fabric (WOF)
- Cut 8 @ 1 1/2″ x Width of Fabric
Sew 3 white WOF strips together, cut into 2 – 58 1/2″ strips
Sew 1 – 18 1/2″ sashing to the right side of 1 block. Sew another block to the right, followed by another sashing and another block.
Repeat 4 times.
Sew rows together with 58 1/2″ sashing strips between them.
Sew 2 white WOF strips together, cut into a 78 1/2″ strip. Repeat with 2 more WOF strips.
Sew 2 white WOF strips together, cut into a 62 1/2″ strip. Repeat with 2 more WOF strips.
Sew 78 1/2″ border strips to the sides of the quilt top. Sew the 62 1/2″ strips to the top and bottom of the quilt top.
Sew 4 dark green WOF strips together, cut into a 82 1/2″ strip and a 64 1/2 ” strip. Repeat with remaining four strips.
Sew the 82 1/2″ strips to sides of quilt top. Sew the 64 1/2″ strips to the top and bottom.
Press, layer, and quilt.
Music by bensound.com