It's now time to join our first three blocks together!
Looking for previous months? Check out the main quilt along page for links to all the blocks and instructions.
2023 Quilt Along - Quilt as You Go
Trimming the Blocks
Remember, we are working with blocks 1, 2, and 3. We are going to be trimming each block differently so that we can add a border at the end, so make sure you are paying attention to which block you want in which position.
Joining the Blocks
After you have each of the blocks trimmed, we need to prepare the sashing.
- Cut 2 strips of background fabric at 2 1/2 x 15 1/2".
- Cut 2 strips of fusible interfacing at 1 1/2 x 15 1/2".
- On each background fabric strip, fold under one long edge 1/4" and press. If your fabric has a front and back, make sure that when you fold it under, the back sides are together with the front sides on top.
- Join blocks 1 and 2, making sure to keep the larger edges around the outside. Sew JUST the backing fabric together with 1/4" seam and press to one side.
- Overlay the batting on top of one another and cut them down the middle.
- Remove the extra pieces of batting and lay the pieces next to each other.
- Lay 1 strip of interfacing on top of the batting, lining it up along the edges of the blocks. Press in place.
- Line the raw edge of 1 of the background strips up along the edge of block 1. Sew with a scant 1/4" seam.
- Fold the background strip over and press.
- Line the folded edge up along block two, covering 1/4". Sew on top of the strip, about 1/8" from the edge.
- Top stitch the opposite side about 1/8" from the edge.
- Add 2 evenly spaced lines in the middle of the strip.
If you have any questions, please let us know!
Kimie and Missy