This month we are finishing up the last 10 blocks and they go together quick and easy! After you are done, make sure to scroll to the bottom of this blog post for the instructions on how to put it all together!
All Blocks will be 6 1/2"
For all the specifics for the quilt along and links to all the blog posts, check out the main quilt along page:
We'll add each month's link to that page and it also goes over fabric requirements and schedule. We recommend bookmarking it if you would like to be able to always find the posts easily.
Cutting the White/Background Fabric
Remember, for your white fabric you can simply cut off what you need from your yardage each month, no need to precut it down to anything.
- Cut 6 strips at 2" x WOF
- Subcut into 120 - 2" squares
Cutting the Colored Fabric
From each Month 12 section:
- Cut 4 - 3 1/2" squares
Making the Block Sections
- Place 1 - 2" white square on the corner of one 3 1/2" colored square. Draw a line from corner to corner.
- Sew directly on the line. Trim seam to 1/4". Press open.
- Repeat with the corner directly opposite the first 2" square.
- Repeat with one of the remaining corners.
- Repeat with remaining 3 - 3 1/2" colored squares to create 4 sections.
Making the Quilt Block
Layout the quilt block following the diagram below .
Sew the top 2 sections together. Sew the bottom 2 sections together. Sew the rows together.
Repeat with the remaining 9 colors to create 10 Month 12 blocks.
Putting the Quilt Top Together
Now that all of the blocks are done, we are ready to assemble the quilt top! All remaining cuts will be made from the white fabric.
Cutting the Sashing and Borders
For the Sashing between blocks:
- Cut 18 strips - 1 1/2" x WOF
- Subcut into 120 - 6 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
- Cut 20 strips - 1 1/2" x WOF
- Sew them together and cut to create 11 - 69 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
For the Borders:
- Cut 8 strips - 1 1/2" x WOF
- Sew them together and cut to create:
- 2 - 83 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
- 2 - 71 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
Assembling the Quilt Top
- Layout the quilt following the color order below. Placement of types of blocks is up to you. They don't have to match ours exactly (but feel free to match if you would like).
- Sew each row of 10 blocks together with a 6 1/2 x 1 1/2" sashing strip in between each block. Press.
- Sew 1 - 69 1/2 x 1 1/2" strip in between the rows. Press.
Adding the Borders
- Sew 1 - 83 1/2" x 1 1/2" border to each side of the quilt. Press.
- Sew 1 - 71 1/2 x 1 1/2" border to the top and bottom of the quilt. Press.
Sandwich with batting and backing. Quilt as desired. Bind. We use 2 1/4" strips of binding.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out!
Kimie and Missy