The weather is cooling down and we are entering my favorite time of year. It's cool enough to start hiking again and spending all day outside! Well, except for sewing time. Maybe I'll move my sewing machine outside as well, then I won't have to ever come in. No matter where you are sewing, grab your Month 9 fabrics and let's get started!
All blocks will be 6 1/2".
For all the specifics for the quilt along and links to all the blog posts, check out the main quilt along page:
We'll add each month's link to that page and it also goes over fabric requirements and schedule. We recommend bookmarking it if you would like to be able to always find the posts easily.
Cutting the White/Background Fabric
Remember, for your white fabric you can simply cut off what you need from your yardage each month, no need to precut it down to anything.
- Cut 2 strips at 3 1/4" x WOF
- Subcut into 20 - 3 1/4" squares.
- Cut remaining strip down to 5 - 2 1/2" squares
- Cut 3 strips at 2 1/2" x WOF
- Subcut into 35 - 2 1/2" squares for 40 2 - 2 1/2" squares total
Cutting the Colored Fabric
From each Month 9 section:
- Cut 2 - 3 1/4" squares
- Cut 1 - 2 1/2" square
Making the quilt block
Block will be 6 1/2" square
Make the Half Square Triangles
- Take 1 - 3 1/4" white square and lay it on top of 1 - 3 1/4" colored square.
- Draw a line from corner to corner.
- Sew 1/4" on either side of the line.
- Cut on line.
- Trim to 2 1/2" squares.
- Repeat with second set of 3 1/4" squares to make 4 - 2 1/2" Half Square Triangles.
Layout the Quilt Block
Layout the Half Square Triangles and solid 2 1/2" squares following the diagram below.
Sew the top row together, pressing seams towards the center block.
Sew the middle row together, pressing seams towards the outside blocks.
Sew the bottom row together, pressing seams towards the center block.
Sew all the rows together in order, nesting your seams. Press. Repeat will all 10 colors.
Let us know if you have any questions!
Kimie and Missy