Missy is really good at coming up with ideas that involve less than common quilting materials. Fortunately, they usually turn out amazing! This weeks project is one of those concoctions and is so fun to make.
We’ve seen a lot of fun projects involving vinyl. There are so many options with this versatile material. We are going to use it to make an adorable quilting snow globe, complete with snow!
Snow Globe Mini Instructions
- 2 greens
- 2 reds
15″ square vinyl
20″ square each
1/4 yard Fusible Web
Optional: Snowflake Glitter
Templates – Print them from our Subscriber Library. Not a Subscriber yet? Join Below
Prepare your Appliques
The first thing we need to do is prepare the applique pieces. We are using a fusible web and raw edge applique with just a simple straight stitch. If you need more information on how to applique, you can watch our tutorial here: Applique Tutorial
- Download and print out templates. Make sure to print at 100%.
- Tape or glue pieces together matching the dotted lines as needed.
- Start by tracing the pieces onto the fusible web. Do not trace the vinyl circle. It will simply be cut from the vinyl, no fusible needed.
- Cut them apart and following the manufacturer’s directions, iron to the correct color. Make sure you iron to the wrong side of the fabric.
- Cut out each of the pieces.
- Layer your backing, batting, and background.
- Following the diagram below, center appliques on your background fabric.
- Iron in place
- Applique around each piece.
- If desired, use your vinyl circle to mark the snow globe and free motion quilt inside of it.
Add the Snow Globe and Glitter
- After all pieces have been appliqued and quilted, place your vinyl circle. Use a little bit of washable school glue along the outside edge of the vinyl and put in place. NOTE: If you are adding glitter, make sure to leave a small section open at the top.
- Wait until the glue is completely dry.
- Sew 1/4″ in from edge. Leave top open for glitter.
- Add glitter to snow globe. Finish seams.
- Sew a second seam between first seam and edge.
- Quilt remaining space as desired.
- Bind and enjoy.
Questions or comments? Let us know! If you are sharing photos of your mini quilt on social media, don’t forget to tag us @onwilliamsstreet and use #snowglobeminiquilt so we don’t miss it!
Kimie and Missy