We are working on using up as many of our fabric scraps as we can this year! Between full quilts and mini projects, we may not have used up everything, but we’ve made a dent. This week we are sharing a fun scrappy leaf quilt block based off of the traditional bear claw block.
This block finishes at 15″ square.
- 2 @ 5 1/2″ square
- 2 @ 6 1/2″ square
- An assortment of Reds, Greens, Yellows, and Oranges ranging from 3/4″-2″ wide and 4″-8″ long
Making the Blocks
First, head to our subscriber library and print out 1 copy of the stem template and 7 copies of the leaf template. Not a subscriber? Sign up below:
For the stem block:
- Choose one green strip at least 1 1/2″ wide and 8 ” long.
- Cut one 5 1/2″ white block in half.
- Line up one edge of a white triangle 1/4″ past one of the lines on the foundation piece (put fabric right side up on the back of the template). Pin in place.
- Line up green strip along edge of white triangle. Pin and turn over.
- Sew along line. Finger press.
- Trim green stem to 1/4″ past second line on foundation. Line up second white triangle along edge of green stem. Pin and turn over.
- Sew on line. Trim block, making sure to keep the seam allowance.
For the half leaf blocks:
- Cut one 6 1/2″ white square in half. Set one half aside.
- Line up white triangle 1/4″ past center line on template. Pin in place.
- Pick one 8″ colored strip and line it up along edge of white triangle. Pin and turn over.
- Sew along center line.
- Add a second colored strip along the edge of the first colored strip, making sure it covers edge to edge on the template. Sew with 1/4″ seam. Repeat until strips cover entire block. Trim block.
- Repeat for a total of 4 half leaf blocks.
For the full leaf blocks:
- Pick one 8″ colored strip and place it along the center of the block. There is no need to line it up in any specific place. Add second strip and sew with a 1/4″ seam (you can sew this set from the back of the block, no need to turn over).
- Add another strip, ensuring it covers the block.
- Repeat to fill in the first half.
- Add strip to the other side of the center strip and repeat to complete block.
- Repeat for a total of 3 full leaf blocks. Trim block.
Layout block following the diagram below using the remaining 5 1/2″ white square and completed leaf and stem blocks.
Sew top row, middle row, and bottom row. Sew rows together.
You can repeat and make an entire fall quilt, or a table runner, placemats, or pillows!