Spread the Light – Share the Love Quilt Block
We have found ourselves in a situation we haven’t encountered before. We are all wondering how the current state of things and the spread of Covid-19 is going to affect us. When our Phoenix Modern Guild President, Kelli, reached out to us to see if we would be willing to design a block that our guild could sew this month while we are self isolating, we were happy to oblige.
As we were coming up with something that would best represent this trying time, I couldn’t get one thing out of my mind, we are all in this together. This virus is unique in that it isn’t isolated to one location. It doesn’t matter if you are rich or poor. It doesn’t care where you are from or what you do for work or the color of your skin or your family life or religion and I could go on and on. Most calamities seem to occur in far away places or to groups of people that don’t immediately affect us. It’s easy to say “that sucks” and then move on with life as if nothing happens. But today, whether you are in France, or Australia, or Brazil, or South Korea, or any other of hundreds of countries, we are all trying to figure out how to best combat a global crisis. If nothing else, this pandemic is bringing all of us together and making us realize that we have something in common, we are all human, and that is the most important thing of all. So as we come together, I hope that on the other end of this, we’ll all be a little more kind, a little more patient, and a little more sympathetic and willing to help those around us.
Please share these instructions with those around you. Make blocks to brighten your day or work in groups and make charity quilts. As we are all apart, we can still create something together.
Makes 1 – 12″ finished block
- 1 – 7 1/4″ square
- 4 – 3 1/2″ squares
- 2 – 3 x 5 1/2″ strips
- 1 – 1 1/2 x 6 1/2″ strip
- 1 – 1 1/2 x 5 1/2″ strip
- 2 – 3″ squares
- 4 – 1 1/2″ squares
- 2 – 3 7/8″ squares
- 2 – 3 7/8″ squares
- Mark a line diagonally from corner to corner on the 3″ and 1 1/2″ light yellow squares.
- Place 1 – 3″ yellow square on the bottom of 1 pink strip, with the line matching the bottom left corner. Sew on line. Trim to 1/4″. (Fig A)
- Place 1 – 1 1/2″ yellow square on the top right corner the pink strip. Sew on line. Trim to 1/4″. Repeat with a second 1 1/2″ square, placing on the top left corner. (Fig B)
- Repeat, sewing the 3″ yellow square the opposite direction as the first strip. (Fig C)
- Sew the two pieces together. (Fig C)
- Sew the 1 1/2 x 5 1/2″ strip to the left of the heart block. (Fig D)
- Sew the 1 1/2 x 6 1/2″ strip to the top of the heart block. (Fig E)
Flying Geese Blocks
- Place 2 – 3 7/8” med yellow squares on top of the 7 1/4” white square matching opposite corners.
- Draw a line from corner to corner.
- Sew 1/4” seam on each side of the line. (Fig F)
- Cut on line and press seams toward the yellow triangles. (Fig G and H)
- Place 1 – 3 7/8” dark yellow square on top of 1 cut and pressed section matching the white corner.
- Draw a line corner to corner.
- Sew 1/4” seam on each side of the line. (Fig I)
- Cut on line and press towards the yellow triangles. (Fig J)
- Repeat with second pressed section.
- This will result in 4—3 1/2 x 6 1/2” flying geese blocks. (Fig K)
- Refer to block layout below and sew each row as following:
- Top row – Sew 1 – 3 1/2″ white square to the left side of 1 flying geese block. Sew a second 3 1/2″ white square to the right side of the flying geese block. Repeat for bottom row.
- Middle row – Sew 1 flying geese block to the left side of the heart block. Sew a second flying geese block to the right side of the heart block.
- Sew the three rows together.